Sunday 31 October 2010

More structured music listening

While Spotify is clearly one of man's greatest achievements, I'm starting to think I need to find a better way to use it.

At the moment I'm stuck between the old favourites that I listen to again and again (which is really no different to buying them and having them on my ipod) and new albums which I try but often forget to listen to again (which means I never properly get into them).

So, perversely, as I only listen to a small set properly, it sometimes feels like like my listening is less varied than it was before spotify. Also, as I can act instantly, without the thought that goes into a purchase, I worry that I'm my listening is becoming haphazard and incoherent. Which would be a very bad thing.

So I'm considering developing a new approach. Perhaps identifying the main genres I tend to listen to then adding one album to each one per month. That might slow things down a bit.

Alternatively, I could concentrate on one genre at a time and really develop some appreciation for it. I've always fancied spending time with all the bands close to pentangle and bert jansche, for example - I reckon I could really fall for that if I gave myself more time with it.

More thought needed...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Maybe if you stopped work altogether you'd get some time back to spend on Spotify. (I have been using it to catch up on all those CDs I wish I'd bought or have got lost and then listening to them on my iphone.)